One year on since the EU referendum and the majority of personal investors believe the government should be prepared to walk away from Brexit negotiations rather than end up with a bad deal.
That is according to research from The Share Centre, which reveals that leaving the Single Market and pursuing a trade deal is also the most popular option among investors.
However, when asked if they were confident that Theresa May could secure a positive outcome, 60% said no, and just 22% said yes - down from 55% that thought she could before the general election.
"Personal investors seem to favour a clean Brexit, with a majority also in favour of walking away from negotiations rather than seeking a deal at any price," The Share Centre chief executive, Richard Stone, said.
"It is clear that their confidence in Theresa May to get a positive Brexit deal for the UK has been badly dented, with less than one in four now believing she can, compared to a majority in April."
The research involved a survey of 963 personal investors earlier this month, finding that 29% still cling to the idea of remaining in the EU, and that parliament should vote down any proposed deal.
That compares with 16% who would prefer a harder Brexit leaving both the EU and the Single Market, and trading on World Trade Organisation rules instead.
It was also found that the over whelming majority do not regret the way they voted in the referendum, which was split between 48% backing remain, and 46% opting to leave.
Some 94% say they would vote the same way if asked again, with the remaining 6% fairly evenly split between changing their vote to leave and changing it to stay.
"It is important not to overlook the fact that a 'no deal' outcome may prevail, not due to a failure of the negotiations, but rather because any deal will require support from the national governments," Stone continued.
"In some cases, it will need the support of regional governments in each and every one of the 27 EU member states. That may yet prove a higher hurdle to jump than reaching an agreement with the European Commission."
Sign up to our free newsletter here and receive a weekly roundup of news concerning the actuarial profession