The Gallio Club was founded in 1903 for junior actuaries who did not aspire to membership of the senior Actuaries Club. As time passed, of course, those junior actuaries became senior actuaries in their own right, and the younger actuaries founded the Fellowship Club in 1924 and the 59 Club in (surprisingly) 1959.
For many years, membership was by invitation, and they were slow in coming.
The original eight members added two to their number at the first dinner and more at the second, but those 11 dined monthly for almost two years before electing a 12th.
Gallio Club still meets on the evenings of sessional research events, normally six times a year through the winter and spring. On behalf of the Institute and Faculty, Gallio invites the speakers and authors of the sessional meeting papers to dine with them; this enables the topic of the meeting to be continued much less formally over dinner, or, indeed, in many cases not continued at all.
The seven-course menu, with six different wines, of a dinner held in 1916 is unlikely to be repeated. The club dines more modestly, but nonetheless well, at The Bleeding Heart Restaurant, five minutes' walk from Staple Inn. The tradition of a closed membership has long vanished and Gallio is pleased to invite any actuary to join. If interested, contact the secretary at [email protected].