[Skip to content]

Sign up for our daily newsletter
The Actuary The magazine of the Institute & Faculty of Actuaries
.

Appointments and moves

XL RE has announced that Andy Batley has become head of global business development for XL Re Life operations and will oversee its business development activity worldwide.

Paul Bradshaw, the former chief executive of Abbey’s insurance and asset management division, has been made chairman of NUCLEUS FINANCIAL, an IFA-led wrap group. Mr Bradshaw becomes chairman of Nucleus at a time when it has already signed up seven IFA groups across the UK. The seven IFAs, who in total manage around £3bn in assets, hold a 51% stake in the firm with the remaining 49% held by a mixture of the group’s management team and South African insurance group Sanlam, which owns Merchants Investors in the UK.

The PENSIONS POLICY INSTITUTE (PPI) has appointed Niki Cleal as its director to take over from Alison O’Connell from the end of July. Ms Cleal has spent the past ten years in the civil service – at the NHS Executive and more recently at HM Treasury, where she headed a review of business chaired by Richard Lambert and the review of the actuarial profession chaired by Sir Derek Morris. For the past year, Ms Cleal has been on secondment to HBOS, where she was the research director in its public policy unit. Alison O’Connell has decided to work on a freelance basis but will remain linked to the PPI as a governor.

Sir James Crosby, who recently stepped down as chief executive of HBOS, has joined the European advisory committee of private equity firm Bridgtepoint.

Newly merged firm WOLANSKI CHECKLEY FISHER has appointed Tracey Cutler as manager and senior consultant in its expanding actuarial team. Tracey joins from Watson Wyatt where she spent five years as a consultant.

STANDARD LIFE has announced changes to its life and pensions executive team with John Gill becoming managing director, customer service division, and Evelyn Bourke taking over from John as managing director, finance.

GRANT THORNTON has announced the appointment of John Graham as a life actuarial director in the firm’s financial markets group. With more than 17 years’ experience gained around the world, John joins from Deloitte in Cape Town, where he was responsible for research and development, financial management, and strategic issues relating to life and pensions.

WINTON CAPITAL MANAGEMENT, a leading global hedge fund manager, has announced that Peter Jauhal is to join the firm as director of creativity and motivation, based in London. He was formerly at Hewitt Associates.

GUY CARPENTER & COMPANY, INC has announced that its dedicated facultative reinsurance unit, GCFac, has launched a risk-finance team to originate, execute, and manage structured risk programmes. The London-based team, including Ian Morrice and Luke Wigley, has joined Guy Carpenter from JLT Risk Solutions.

BITA RISK SOLUTIONS, a division of COR-FS, has appointed Professor Stephen Satchell as head of risk research. Professor Satchell will lead the pioneering research projects that BITA Risk undertakes, and actively work with BITA Risk clients to develop and further the use of quantitative and risk-management techniques.

Business and financial adviser GRANT THORNTON has announced the appointment of Simon Sheaf as actuarial director in the firm’s rapidly expanding financial markets group. In his new role, Simon’s immediate focus will be to expand the non-life actuarial practice, providing consulting and modelling capabilities in areas such as due diligence, valuation of insurance liabilities, and capital assessments. Simon joins Grant Thornton with more than 15 years’ experience in the non-life insurance industry. Most recently he was head of the actuarial department at St Paul Travelers Insurance Company Limited, with responsibility across the UK and Ireland operations. Prior to that, he was a senior consultant in the general insurance division of Towers Perrin Tillinghast.

Lindsay Tomlinson, member of Council of the Institute of Actuaries and former chairman of the Investment Management Association, is to take up the chairmanship of the TAKEOVER PANEL’S CODE COMMITTEE.

Les Waters has moved to Bermuda with PLATINUM UNDERWRITERS. He will be responsible for risk management, including the company’s retrocessional strategy, as well as underwriting financial lines and various non-standard and structured risks.

Alan Whalley, formerly of Watson Wyatt, has joined MERCER HUMAN RESOURCE CONSULTING as chief executive of its UK company. Mr Whalley left Watson Wyatt late last year after nearly 30 years with the company, most recently as US regional manager. He will take over the role from Simon O’Regan, who will concentrate on his wider responsibilities, following his move to the position of head of the Europe and Asia-Pacific regions at Mercer.